Monday, February 2, 2009

The Techie with the Holey Jeans

At a recent SJN meeting, one of our business supporters noticed a job seeker wearing ripped blue jeans and a loud t-shirt. The businessman commented to me was that this job seeker wasn’t coming across as serious about his search.


I thought about that for a while. I had known this job seeker for a few months and thought he had enough trust in me to hear my comments. The next day, I decided to risk annoying him and wrote under the subject line “constructive criticism.”


I explained to the job seeker that he was sending off the wrong signals with his casual attire . . . which was the opinion of people scouting for talent. I explained that networking events should be thought of as pre-interviews, because you are getting a chance to be noticed.

Fortunately, The Techie with the Holey Jeans responded to my suggestions with appreciation. He acknowledged that he knew my intention was to help him. He also explained that in his industry, jeans and casual clothes were the standard. However, despite his being financially challenged, he was going to Good Will for some decent clothes.

I am so proud of this gentleman for his openness to my unsolicited advice. He actually is stepping it up a notch and removing any doubts in the minds of potential employers--or others who might serve as contacts for him--and I wish him luck. He impressed me with his willigness to hear criticism and adjust his approach.


If any employers want to meet really high talented professional people with integrity who will be good to your organization and clients, come join us at SJN.

No comments: